From physical exercise and yoga to diet to coffee to mental exercise: what might help prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s.
- Lowering blood pressure may help cut risk of early dementia, study finds
- Lowering blood pressure could cut risk factor for dementia
- Mild cognitive impairment: Reducing blood pressure can lower risk
- Treating high blood pressure could reduce risk of memory issues, study finds
- Study Offers Hint of Hope for Staving Off Dementia in Some People
- Major New Study Finds Lowering Blood Pressure Can Prevent Cognitive Decline, but Questions Remain
- National Institutes of Health press release:
Does intensive blood pressure control reduce dementia?
- Research study:
Effect of Intensive vs Standard Blood Pressure Control on Probable Dementia
- The molecule that helps exercise protect the brain from Alzheimer’s
- Exercise produces irisin — irisin might prevent Alzheimer’s, researchers say
- ‘Exercise Hormone’ Could Slow Progression of Alzheimer’s Disease
- A hormone released during exercise might protect against Alzheimer’s
- To Burn Fat, You Could Exercise … or Shiver
- How Exercise May Help Keep Our Memory Sharp
- Irisin: The “Exercise Hormone” has Powerful Health Benefits
- Research article:
Exercise-linked FNDC5/irisin rescues synaptic plasticity and memory defects in Alzheimer’s models
- Research review article:
The Role of Irisin in Alzheimer’s Disease
- The more you do to promote your cardiovascular health, the lower your risk of dementia
- Midlife heart health shows a link with future risk of dementia
- Better heart health may mean lower dementia risk in older people
- These 7 heart-healthy factors could cut your risk of dementia, a new study finds
- Dementia and Heart Health: Are They Related?
- Risk factors for heart disease linked to dementia
- Research article:
Association of Cardiovascular Health Level in Older Age With Cognitive Decline and Incident Dementia
- The Lancet International Commission on Dementia Prevention and Care.
- 3 Good Things To Do For Your Brain: Exercise, Manage Blood Pressure, Brain Training
- Nine lifestyle changes can reduce dementia risk, study says
- Lifestyle changes could prevent a third of dementia cases, report suggests
- Experts: One in three cases of dementia preventable
- Is Dementia Preventable?
- Expert Panel: Three Things May Save Your Brain
- These few things may help stave off dementia, scientists say
- Cognitive decline may be prevented using interventions but may be inadequate says report
Preventing Cognitive Decline and Dementia: A Way Forward (Report At A Glance)
- Published research (the complete report as pdf — upper right corner of page):
Preventing Cognitive Decline and Dementia: A Way Forward
- Yoga May Be Good for the Brain
- Could Yoga Help Reduce Alzheimer’s Risk?
- Published research:
Changes in Neural Connectivity and Memory Following a Yoga Intervention for Older Adults: A Pilot Study.
- Combining Aerobic Exercise and Meditation Reduces Depression
- Exercise and meditation together help beat depression
- Published research:
MAP training: combining meditation and aerobic exercise reduces depression and rumination while enhancing synchronized brain activity
- Preventing Alzheimer’s Disease: What Do We Know? [September 2012|July 2016]
- 9 Factors May Be Key to Alzheimer’s Risk [Aug. 20, 2015]
- Dos and don’ts to preserve your brainpower [28 August 2015]
- Staying Active May Help Prevent Dementia
- A Drink or Two a Day May Lower the Risk of Alzheimer’s
- Aging Well: Keeping Blood Sugar Low May Protect Memory
- NIH Alzheimer’s and Cognitive Decline Prevention Conference
- Reverse the brain drain of aging
- Music clears mind for Alzheimer’s researcher
- Staying calm ‘prevents dementia’
- Less-stressed people may have lower dementia risk
- Could creativity and socializing preserve your memory?
- How to keep your brain healthy
- World Alzheimer’s Report: Reduce your dementia risk
- Playing for time: Can music stave off dementia?
- Retiring Later Could Help You Fend Off Alzheimer’s
- Avoiding dementia similar to heart disease ‘ lifestyle changes important
- Lifestyle Changes Can Reduce Risk of Alzheimer’s
- Alzheimer’s disease: The best bets for prevention, so far
- Five ways to keep Alzheimer’s away